The presidential election is over. The results are in. The people have had their say. In the Republic of Philippines.
The winner is a man by the name of Rodrigo Duterte, whose claim to political fame is his longevity, over two decades, as mayor of Davao City.
Far be it from me to draw any parallels. But, I note for the record the following:
- Duterte is described as “a maverick.”
- Duterte’s campaign lacked policy particulars.
- Duterte generated a record turnout.
- Duterte is known for making “incendiary” comments.
- Duterte cursed the Pope.
- Duterte is admired for being a hard liner – for being extra macho.
- Duterte’s fierce or, better, vicious anti-crime crusades led to his moniker, “The Punisher.”
- Duterte’s fierece or, better, vicious anti-crime crusades led to his moniker, “Dirty Harry.”
- Duterte has threatened to massacre criminals and drug abusers.
- Duterte has joked about the rape of an Australian missionary. “I was mad she was raped,” he told a rally, “but she was so beautiful I thought the mayor should have been first.”
Again, far be it from me to draw any parallels. I’m just saying.